Thanks to Rotem Cohen for creating a collage of gagged mouths which dramatizes the impact of Judge Benny Sagi’s continuing gag against reporting the rape charge brought against Israeli journalist Yoav Even. The judge in this case has sealed the media’s mouth, and sealed the ears and eyes of every Israeli who may not hear of this case and make judgments for him or herself about its importance for their lives.
While Israeli lower courts tend to side with powerful defendants in protecting their prerogatives and privilege, higher courts tend to look on such gags more skeptically. I hope and urge an Israeli journalist to appeal Sagi’s ruling.
- Shin Bet Judge Denies Foreign Media Plays Any Role in Lifting Gag
- Abusisi Case: Put Up or Shut Up Time for Shabak
- IAEA Inspectors: Stuxnet May’ve Shut Down Iranian Enrichment Program
- Israeli Judge Extends Gag Order in Yoav Even Rape Case Despite Police Appeals for Dismissal
- Wanted: Israeli Amazons to Overpower Hezbollah Women